If you’re looking to optimize your website and increase conversions, you might look into product recommendation engines. Businesses of all sizes have incorporated this novel website optimization technique into their website optimization efforts. If you want to get up to speed on practice, read on to understand how it can help you and your business.
What are Product Recommendation Engines
Product Recommendation engines provide your site visitors a custom browsing experience tied to their interests and preferences. You’ll be presented with a list of items you normally wouldn’t look at, but of which have expressed interested in based on prior browsing history. The system can recommend items that will work with what you are intending to buy, affording you the convenience of not having to browse on your own.
How the recommendation engine works is through first asking for access to your user data and permission to use it. Differences exist amongst product recommendation engines, although they all contain the same basic similarities:
• User Registration: You’ll need each user to voluntarily register an account with your website in order to avoid legal issues down the road.
• User Permission: You must also obtain permission from each user to not only gather data but communicate it to the user as well.
• Method for Data Acquisition: Much of the work done by product recommendation engines you don’t get to see. However, some systems may also be configured to directly interact with customers in order to obtain a more specific type of data.
Functions of Product Recommendation Engines
The following recommendations can be made by product recommendation engines:
From the time to visitor enters your site, to the time they leave, their actions are monitored and time spent on each activity is noted. Moreover, the visitor also compiles data from every session or every instance the visitor stays at your website. From there, the system will analyze the data and make recommendations based on the user’s behavior.
If your ecommerce recommender has a social feature, this is possible. By allowing your users to signup and sign in using your facebook username and password, this is taking place. Other product recommendation engines enable users to sign up with their Gmail or Yahoo accounts or even their Twitter accounts.
Based on the purchasing behavior of those in your networks, the system will then present recommendations to you. This works well when you’re targeting a demographic that relies heavily on social influence.
3. Cart Abandonment
Different from the other types of recommendation engines, but equally important in driving sales. Studies show this type of interaction can increase your conversion rates by double as long as you’re meeting the needs of your visitors in doing so.
The ROI of Product Recommendation Engines
If increasing sales for your business is a priority, product recommendation engines provide the following benefits:
• Increase Volume of Orders: In influx of orders mean the recommendation engine is working for you.
• Customer Retention: If your system can accumulate data about cart abandonment, this particular benefit is possible. The result is your system establishing contact with your visitors.
• High level of customization or personalization: Every visitor or registered user is offered a personalized experience, and this data can be used in a number of ways to improve your website’s overall services. The result ensures your visitors are more likely to purchase your products and services.
Through product recommendation engines, you’re able to hone in on your customers expectations by showing them products they expressed interest in. The success is evident each time a visitor arrives at your site and a new item is purchased.